Emerging countries in Asia are becoming critical markets for Swiss companies, including those from the Canton of Vaud. China, for instance, has become the third destination for Swiss exporters. Despite the relative slow-down, there has been a growing demand for innovative and high quality products amplified by the size of the market, rapid economic growth, and the rising affluence of Chinese society. China is emerging as a global innovation leader in areas such as robotics, biotech, clean-energy cars, and artificial intelligence. The policies launched by the Chinese government, such as “One Belt, One Road” and “Made in China 2025”, are reshaping the international business environment and are creating opportunities for innovative Swiss firms. Regarding these policies, a set of questions is pertinent for Swiss firms :
- How does “culture” matter for successful business development?
- What are the key cultural similarities and differences between Swiss and Chinese ecosystems?
- How do relationships with customers, investors and competitors differ?
- How can Swiss and Chinese firms successfully manage collaborative R&D partnerships?
Through a cross-cultural lens, a panel of executives and experts will share their insights and provide answers to these questions. The conference offers a unique opportunity for academic, business and public sector leaders to learn from one another and uncover how culture dynamics affect business development.
About the “Intercultural Management” Research Group at HEIG-VD
As a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team, our aim is to enable managers, engineers and entrepreneurs to connect and collaborate across cultures to create social and economic value. Our area of expertise is intercultural management in the context of emerging markets and namely cross-border mergers and acquisitions, headquarters - subsidiary relationships, internationalization of SMEs and startups, and international entrepreneurship development.
4:30 p.m. - Reception and registration
5:00 p.m. - Opening session
- Prof. Dr. Florent Ledentu, Dean of the Business School, HEIG-VD
- Prof. Dr. Anna Lupina-Wegener, Head of the Intercultural Management Research Group
5:15 p.m. - Politics of the Canton of Vaud on business development in China
- Mr. Raphaël Conz, Economic Promotion Director, Office for Economic Affairs (SPECo), State of Vaud
5:25 p.m. - Four unique cases of business development in China
- Bühler: Mr. Dieter Voegtli, President Global Operations, Uzwil, Switzerland
- Tyre Recycling Solutions: Mr. Staffan Ahlgren, CEO, Préverenges, Switzerland
- Hengtong: Mr. Richard Wang, Director of the Overseas Operation Management, Suzhou, China
- niHUB: Mr. Lucas Rondez, CEO, Zhejiang, China
6:25 p.m. - Panel discussion
- Alain Graf , S-GE, Lausanne
6:50 p.m. - Concluding remarks
- Prof. Dr. Anna Lupina-Wegener
- Aline Ballaman-Garibian, General manager, Swiss Center, Shanghai, China
7:00 p.m. - Cocktail reception