Non-European students need to apply for a visa at the nearest Swiss Embassy at least three months prior to departure. A so-called "tourist visa" is not sufficient and cannot be changed into a student permit once a student has arrived in Switzerland.
Information for entry in Switzerland
Switzerland is not a member of the European Union. However, entry requirements have been simplified for European students.
Further information: Free Movement of Persons Switzerland - EU/EFTA
As soon as application procedures at HEIG-VD are completed, the International Office issues a document that allows incoming students to apply for a visa. Plan on two to three months for the visa procedure prior to arrival in Switzerland.
Any incoming student needs
- a valid passport or picture ID
- health insurance: European insurance card; for non-European students, HEIG-VD provides health insurance, financed by the student's grant
- third-party liability risk insurance: HEIG-VD provides liability-insurance for non-European students, financed by the student's grant
- proof of sufficient financial resources during his or her stay in Switzerland
- a document stating that he or she has been accepted as an exchange student at HEIG-VD